Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Our introduction to mommy and me preschool was super anticipated and an exciting event. This summer my oldest, C, turned three and my husband and I made the choice to keep him home from preschool. Many factors were involved in this decision, but man have I enjoyed getting prepared. I've done some research on-line for curriculums and lesson plans and have had a blast looking at what other stay at home moms have been doing with their preschoolers. I decided to start with the letter A, it just made sense! C already recognizes all of his letters so my idea was to begin writing and discussing their sounds.

I started our week off by finding catchy and fun YouTube videos to show the varying sounds "A" made, or the many variations to write a lowercase "a". To be honest, I never really thought about how many sounds A makes....no wonder the English language is so complicated. C loved watching the videos and found several more to listen to as well. I'm not sure if we were just so excited to be doing school or if I need more lesson plans because we wizzed through most of the ideas I had for letter A in the first day :)

I had found some pictures of apples that were different sizes. C was to put them in order from littlest to biggest. This was more difficult than I thought it was going to be for him and he took some time to get them organized. Once he did that I had him switch it to biggest to smallest. Then we took the apples, put them in a basket and sang about them falling down (to the tune of London Bridges Falling Down) and threw them in the air. Both C and D LOVED this activity and I think we did it for over 45 minutes!

We also painted with Apples, ate lots of apples and took a tour of an apple orchard as part of our lessons this week. Sorry I didn't think to grab my camera during our lessons this week so no pictures of our first week of school :( I guess we are all learning as we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment