Saturday, January 14, 2012

T is for Turkey

Thanksgiving is such a great time of year. I love thinking of all the things I'm grateful for. This year, I really wanted to stress the importance of being grateful to C, as I think he is getting old enough. We'd talk about the things we enjoy and love everyday in November. We have so much to be grateful for!

My munchkin and I started the letter T the week before Thanksgiving so we'd have lots of time for T activities. While doing our scavenger hunt for things that start with T, Colby thought about tickets. This was brilliant because I had some left over from his party that he could "tape" onto his letter T. He spent a lot of time on this.

For a math project I cut out some circles and let C color and paste them onto construction paper. Then I wrote a number on each paper (from 1-9) and cut out some feathers. Colby enjoyed gluing the amount of feathers that corresponded to the number at the top. We did a few each day, as this activity took longer than expected.



Gluing feathers onto his Turkeys




I had read on a website for Montessori schools about a book called Thanksgiving by Anne Rockwell . This book was perfect for C as he loved the illustrations and the story was easy for him to understand.

The activity is to give the child some beads which signify different parts of the story that as they retell it, will remind them of when the Pilgrims came across the ocean, met the indians and the food they ate. It took some fine motor skills to place the beads onto the bracelet, something C can always use practice with. I found the instructions here: http://http//mymontessorijourney.typepad.com/my_montessori_journey/2009/11/thanksgiving-story-bracelets.html

For the holiday we rented a beach house with the rest of my family. It was wonderful to have three days of enjoyable company, good food, games and great conversation. I brought some of the activities with us to share with his cousin. Here they are making turkey apples, although I'm not sure they ever finished. They were too busy eating the marshmallows, grapes and cranberries.






















And yes, of course, we ate Turkey!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment